As I prepared to move across the country (back in 2004), I decided to start a blog for family and friends to keep up with me. Now it's the place where I dump my brain - for good and for bad. And you get to participate in my mess!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

New preaching date...

So... I was planning on preaching today... but that changed awhile ago because of a guest preacher scheduled for later this month. I hadn't really put any effort into rescheduling. I knew I needed to... I knew that I should. But I was putting it off... and not deciding on anything... avoiding what I knew I needed to do. (And, really, somewhere deep inside, I want to!)

So... today, during Ross's sermon, I was convicted. I need to stop avoiding this... and so, I told Ross I'd preach Palm Sunday or the Sunday after Easter.

He agreed with Palm Sunday. So... I'm preaching on Sunday, April 9th @ 10:15am at First Pres Chruch in Burbank. I'm scared to death, and wasn't planning on telling anyone... but now I realize that I need to share this.

I covet your prayers as I prepare. And, against my own wishes, I'm inviting friends to be there. I don't want an army... but it would be nice to have people I know and trust there to support me.

My scripture choices will come from the Lectionary. Since it's Palm Sunday, I have 2 sets of texts to choose from:

Liturgy of the Palms - Usually for churches that worship at least one other time during Holy Week (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday)
Hebrew Bible:
Psalm: Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
Epistle:
Gospel: Mark 11:1-11 or John 12:12-16

Liturgy of the Passion - Usually for churches that are not worshiping on MT or GF. This squishes ALL of Holy Week onto ONE SUNDAY!
Hebrew Bible: Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm: Psalm 31:9-16
Epistle: Philippians 2:5-11
Gospel: Mark 14:1-15:47 or Mk 15:1-47

Thankfully, my church is worshiping on Maundy Thursday - so I don't have to follow the Liturgy of the Passion unless I want to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home