As I prepared to move across the country (back in 2004), I decided to start a blog for family and friends to keep up with me. Now it's the place where I dump my brain - for good and for bad. And you get to participate in my mess!

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Update on my bro...

So... here's the next chapter in the story:

Matt had surgery this morning. It went very well; the surgeon called my mom (a former nurse) and filled her in on the details. A rod was inserted into his tibia (the bigger bone in your lower leg), from the knee to the ankle. Here is a poster I found online with pictures of how that happens... if you're curious.

He is completely immobilized for at least 6 weeks - with a cast from hip to foot.

He will be in recovery for about 6 months.

Mom is flying from Orlando to Philly tomorrow @ 8am. Her best friend, Janice, is running the rescue operation - picking her up at PHL and driving her to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown PA. They'll get Matt's car keys from him and then drive to the ski resort to get his car. From there, we're not quite sure how things will work.

What I do know is this: Mom will take care of Matt until he's ready (and released) to fly. He'll be moving in with Mom and Dad in Florida so they can take care of him while he recuperates.

Be praying for my family please. It's going to be a tough time. My brother is a very active and independent guy... who is not going to handle immobility very well, I don't think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

ok: note to self: NEVER look at a poster that has a dude DRILLING a freaking hole into a bone - not unless you want to BARF
I am praying A - LONG LIVE THE GOD OF CHANGE:
love you p-nut

16 February, 2006 20:42

 
Blogger Mimi said...

P.S.: go Janice the heroine.
Go MOM for taking on the independance man!

16 February, 2006 20:44

 

Post a Comment

<< Home