As I prepared to move across the country (back in 2004), I decided to start a blog for family and friends to keep up with me. Now it's the place where I dump my brain - for good and for bad. And you get to participate in my mess!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Preaching

Ok... last post for tonight. (For those of you just joining me, please go down to the first post of the evening "*Whew* A lot has happened..." and read UP from there. This is my 5th post tonight!)

So... I know that God is calling me. That is confirmed more and more each day.

The last big hurdle, for me anyway, is preaching. I've been involved in almost all other aspects of pastoring... but I have NEVER preached. Never. No, not even a little.

And, I'm scared to death to do it. The responsibility humbles me. To think that God is entrusting me with His Word... trusting me to bring it to His people faithfully and acurately!!

Yes, I know that He will be the one that actually provides the words and message. And yes, I know, that He called me to this... He will provide the knowledge and strength.

And still, I am scared. I am overwhelmed at the possibility - not even having a CLUE about where to begin.

If you pray - please pray for me. Pray that God will be my strength and light. That His words would fill my mind... that I would be a faithful steward of the message that He has for His people.

And if you think of it... remember me in your prayers on the morning of March 5th...

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke Hyder said...

Jenn! I will be preaching the same day at my church! I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

Preaching IS a humbling endeaver... but that's GOOD. Remember, it is God's Word, not yours. He'll take care of the most important work. You just have to be faithful.

The last time I preached I was particularly down on myself going into it because I had really struggled with a sin issue the previous week. I felt so UN-worthy of preaching, I almost called it quits. But I prayed and fasted and surrendered it entirely to God, and felt led to go ahead and preach.

The Monday after I was reading in the Second Helvetic Confession (I know... how exciting), and read this: "The Preaching of the Word of God Is the Word of God. Wherefore when this Word of God is now preached...we believe that the very Word of God is proclaimed, and received by the faithful...and that now the Word itself which is preached is to be regarded, not the minister that preaches; for even if he [or she] be evil and a sinner, nevertheless the Word of God remains still true and good" (BOC-5.004).

You gotta love Reformed theology! I hope this is a comfort to you as it was to me.

08 February, 2006 23:32

 
Blogger Jenn Cannon said...

Luke. Thank you. That was EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I think I'll be posting that on my wall...

08 February, 2006 23:38

 

Post a Comment

<< Home