As I prepared to move across the country (back in 2004), I decided to start a blog for family and friends to keep up with me. Now it's the place where I dump my brain - for good and for bad. And you get to participate in my mess!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I am an artist - and I think I had almost forgotten.

There are times when I think I forget who I am inside. I get so caught up in being a 'budding theologian' that I forget that I was created as an artist first. My art, my music, my love for all the arts - they all are a HUGE part of who I am as a person and as God's creation.

This week is Arts Fest - a week long festival celebrating the artists on campus, as well as locally, and allowing us all the opportunity to be free with our art. What a joy! What an amazing group of talented people are assembled here - and I am blessed to call them friends!

Last night was a concert that was well worth the effort to put on. The Fuller Vocal Ensemble performed first - a collection of pieces ranging from Mozart to Manahattan Transfer!! It was a joy to make music with these friends - and to get to sing the way I love to sing. I was in heaven.

The second half of the concert was a great minimalistic piece, In C, by Terry Riley. It's hard to describe - although the best I managed was that it is like scripted improv.

Tonight was the dance and poetry night - called Fusion. Several dance pieces and readings from our annual collection of poetry and writings - Offerings.

As tonight's event closed, and the tech stuff was put away (thanks Michelle) I was able to witness something that made my heart smile. In the back corner of this auditorium where art was created, shared, experienced, several friends were laughing and having a wonderful time - celebrating the event and enjoying the friendships forged. Up front there were two men who chose this time and place to have some serious prayer time with God - surrounded by the people and experiences that still hung in the air.

What a picture of the community at Fuller as well as the Kingdom of God!

United in purpose and focus - while still diverse and unique. Drawn together by God and our art - but separated by the various expressions. Building community with each other through experiences and faith - while not needing to be united in activity in that moment.

Thank you, my friends, for that accidental and inspired moment of worship for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After the show

Tangled wires twisting out of control – tamed by a skilled hand
Spoken words hanging in the air – hearts changed by their force
Notes of music ringing in power – brought tears to dry eyes
Bodies moving, graceful and strong – preached the Word

Lights up
Crowd dispersed
Art but a memory

Laughter
Celebrate
Community gathered

Quiet
Isolated
Men praying faithfully

This is… my community
This is… our art, our voice
This is… the Kingdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home