As I prepared to move across the country (back in 2004), I decided to start a blog for family and friends to keep up with me. Now it's the place where I dump my brain - for good and for bad. And you get to participate in my mess!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

First 3 Movie Reviews

Serenity (DVD)

An interesting flick that I don’t think I would have ever thought to watch. But Alan, in his wisdom, knew better and invited me over to watch. I really liked it, and think I need to see it again to get some more…

I was totally sucked into the story, and never really had my “suspension of disbelief” broken. That is key for me in a movie… but especially in a sci-fi-western-type (as Alan called it). The sci-fi aspect tends to make me more skeptical, so the fact that this one had me through the whole thing says a lot for the storytelling!!

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it… so I can’t remember a lot… but I know that I liked it, was surprised at how I liked it, and intend to see it again. Also, it made me want to watch Firefly (the short-lived show that precedes the movie) in order to get the whole story.

All-in-all a good flick that I would see again! (Hey, Alan, wanna have another movie night? :) )

The Devil Wears Prada

This was a fun movie that was a real bit of social commentary on our cultural obsession with looks, beauty and fashion. Anne Hathaway, long one of my favorite actresses, does a remarkable job pulling off the frumpy-to-fabulous look needed for her part. While some of the content might make you cringe, if you take it for the sarcastic, dry-witted, social commentary I think it is supposed to be, you will like it.

Not a classic. Not an award shoe-in. But a great movie that was both entertaining and thought-provoking.

Oh… and there are a couple of scenes where the editing is just beautiful (the editor should get an award or 2, but probably won’t)!!! Totally impressed.

I’d see it again… and might consider owning it. It was that good.

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest

*swoon* Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom!!! Depp is back as the ridiculous, lovable, and slightly-odd pirate. And I loved it! This one is WAAAAAAAAAAY more dark than the first… and I would NOT take the kiddies to see it. Definitely wanna check it out first, parents, before taking your kids.

There are some fantastic scenes that were absolutely hysterical the first time ‘round! The impact they had on me was amazing. I went back and saw it a second time and they weren’t as funny… definitely more silly-leaning-towards-stupid. But… awesome the first time. I think the power for those scenes came from the shock value in the first viewing.

I’ll tell ya… the ending had me on the edge of my seat and I can’t WAIT for the 3rd one!!! And not just ‘cause I wanna see Depp and Bloom again. *swoon*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home