As I prepared to move across the country (back in 2004), I decided to start a blog for family and friends to keep up with me. Now it's the place where I dump my brain - for good and for bad. And you get to participate in my mess!

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Setting up house...

Up at about 6:30am. Took our time showering, packing and having breakfast. We’re only hours from Pasadena and I have yet to actually speak to a person to let them know we’ll be there today. Wandered around town looking for gas that wasn’t going to break the bank. Gave up and filled up at a “76” for $2.28/9 per gallon. Yikes – I’m NOT going to like this part of living in CA. Washed all our windows – yuck! – and hit the road by 8:15am. The day is beautiful!! And with the sun at our backs, the drive looks to be a good one. The drive was fairly uneventful. We shared the road through the end of the desert with more big-rigs – always my favorite. We had a great surprise as we drove through Palm Springs: There are windmills EVERYWHERE!!! There are thousands of windmills all over the hills and valleys, each facing a slightly different direction so as to catch any breath of wind from anywhere. I took a bunch of pics so we could remember this awesome sight! We arrived in Pasadena around 11:45ish. We wandered for a little bit and eventually found our way to the Housing Office at about 12:05. Of course, they’re closed for lunch from 12-1pm. So, we went off and had lunch at a diner/lounge and then came back. I was able to get my key and a ton of information from Lori @ Housing. By then, Matt Webb had called and he and a friend were available to help us unload. The car that was packed to the gills and took forever to load was emptied in minutes. Matt and Todd are lifesavers!!! Mom and I settled in to unpacking – a long a tedious process that left us sweaty and drained. We basically spent the entire afternoon unpacking. At about 6, we realized that we hadn’t been shopping for a bed – so we made a list of things we needed and headed off to IKEA, thanks to directions from Todd. We got to IKEA at about 7 and it took us almost 2 full hours to select a bed with mattress and other items (a desk chair from “As-Is”, some drawer organizers, a hanging closet shelving thing). We got back to the apt, dragged everything inside, set up beds and slept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home